Thursday, March 7, 2013

Book Review: The Look by Sophia Bennett


The Look
The Look

Author: Sophia Bennett
Genre: YA realistic fiction
Publication Date: March 1st 2013
Publisher: Scholastic
Source: eARC from the publisher. Thank you very much!


Can she be a supermodel and a super-sister? She finds her answer in just one look.

Two sisters, both beautiful in different ways: Fifteen-year-old Ted has got "The Look." That's what the scout for the modeling agency tells her, and she can't believe her luck. But just as Ted's jet-setting off on her new career, Ava is diagnosed with cancer. Can Ted be a supermodel and a super-sister? Or will she have to choose between family and fame? With their worlds turned upside down, the girls have to look past appearances, look deep inside, to figure out what really matters.

Recently, I see a lot of books about cancer. I think it started with The Fault In Our Stars - one of the most popular books of 2012. I've read it, but unlike everybody else, I didn't like it so much. I thought it was too depressing and pessimistic. I don't have any problem with sad books... I just need them to have a tiny bit of hope.

That's why I am very glad to say that this book wasn't a tearjerker! The author has managed to write about teens dealing with cancer without making the book heavy or depressing. When I first started reading, I was afraid this book is going to end like The Fault In Our Starts... but it hasn't!! In fact, the ending was very happy and full of hope - just the way I like.

Ted, the main character, was overall relatable and realistic. The only problem was that she didn't act her age. Ted is 15-turning-on-16, but she thinks and acts as if she's much younger. That was kind of annoying. I think that her whole behavior would make much more sense if she was 12.
What I like the most about her was was the transformation she made - at first she didn't believe when people told her she was pretty. From her descriptions of herself, she sounded totally model-ish - tall and thin with long legs, but she thought of herself as an ugly, scary girl and was very insecure.
As the book progressed, Tad has gained confidence and started to notice her qualities. She has completely changed - from the scared little girl at the beginning she turned into a strong woman who stands up for herself. That's why I turned up liking her.
The relationship between Ava and Ted was beautiful. They shared all of their secrets, so both of them always had someone to talk to. I really loved how they never fought and never did anything to disturb each other. I wish my relationship with my own sisters would be like this.

What I also liked about this book was the whole modeling issue. It's the first time ever I read a book about modeling, and I found it a really interesting subject! I really loved to read about the shoots and Ted's feelings during them. It was also really funny to read about the unusual people working as managers and photographers, who live in a whole different world - a world of fame and glitters.

My favorite part of the book was actually the writing, which was very fluent and quick, making the book highly addictive. I literally couldn't put it down!! That's why I've finished it in TWO DAYS. And I'm a super-slow reader. Sophia Bennet is totally an author to look out for!! I am looking forward to read more books by her.

Overall, this book has managed to touch really tough subjects without being too heavy. It was very well written and had some strong educational massages. I recommend it to younger teen girls (grades 6-8).


Rating:


Theme song:

6 comments:

  1. This sounds good-- and it's the first review I've heard on it! I really like the cover, and yeah, I wish that my relationship with my sister was like that. It sounds great. (:

    I also find the subject of modeling really interesting, so hopefully this will be a good read for me. Fabulous review, darling! ;)

    Loves,
    Megan@The Book Babe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this one. I think it's very hard for an author to write about real-life issues and do it well. Most people want to escape "real" life when they read a book. It sounds like this author did the job quite well.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Michelle :)
    Author, PODs available June 4th
    Visit Me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really did. Everything about this book was realistic, as tough as the reality is.
      Thank you for commenting and following! :D

      Delete
  3. Hi,
    Your one of the first people I have heard of who haven't enjoyed TFIOS, it's my all time favourite books. Anyway I also loved the Look it my first cancer book and also a first for reading about the modeling world and I like how the two incorporated. I'd stay that it's maybe still enjoyable for older teen too. I'd say maybe 10-14 or 15 because it's really good and it's not babyish either. Thanks for your great review, glad to see you enjoyed this one. Happy Blogging, Thanks for Sharing :D

    - Sunny @ www.asupersunnyspot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not saying TFIOS isn't a good book... it's just wasn't exactly for me. It really made me depressed.
      I'm 14 and I enjoyed The Look a lot, but I still think my 12-year-old sister would've enjoyed it much more.
      Thank you for the comment!! <3

      Delete